金伯利’s experience in a multitude of regulatory frameworks brings added value to commercial clients.
金伯利 is a partner in the firm’s 能源& Infrastructure Group in 卡尔加里 and the National 广西福利彩票发行中心，法规and Aboriginal Group. Her practice focuses on environmental, energy (including electricity and oil and gas) and regulatory, law. 金伯利’s versatility enables her to anticipate issues that may arise for the clients she works with and provide proactive strategic advice, whether it is advising on the environmental risk of a transaction or procuring key regulatory approvals for a new project.
金伯利’s practice involves a broad range of regulatory and commercial work involving pipelines, natural gas and electric utilities and energy projects, including renewables. She has experience in all aspects of energy project development and has appeared before several regulatory tribunals, including the Canada 能源Regulator (formerly the National 能源Board), the Alberta 能源Regulator, the Alberta Utilities Commission and the Alberta Environmental Appeals Board.
With her experience in commercial transactions, project development and financing, 金伯利 provides practical advice to clients in real time. When clients approach 金伯利, she already knows their industry and understands how they are regulated, allowing her to get straight to the issue at hand.
“We originally retained Kim as counsel on an environmental investigation and potential prosecution and have found her representation to be exceptional. She is well versed in environmental law and has an additional technical side that has been beneficial to our corporation. She is intelligent, competent and 人able, able to effectively communicate with internal counsel, business representatives and external experts. Since our original retainment we now utilize Kim on all environmental matters and feel comfort in her guidance and expertise.” — GC OF A CANADIAN ELECTRIC UTILITY COMPANY
The environmental component of 金伯利’s practice concentrates on environmental counselling, analysis of new regulations, environmental issues raised in commercial transactions and environmental assessment and permitting. She also has extensive experience in the carbon market, providing strategic advice on matters relating to offset systems, offset protocols, verification procedures and emissions trading.
Prior to specializing in energy and environmental law, 金伯利 practised in our Real Property and Planning Group in 卡尔加里. Her practice included acting for companies in the purchase, sale and leasing of commercial properties and acting for financial institutions with respect to lending transactions secured by real property interests.
Some of 金伯利’s recent notable work includes:
- acting on behalf of Suncor 能源Inc. in connection with an environmental protection order 包括有关艾伯塔省广西福利彩票发行中心上诉委员会（EAB）的上诉，该上诉涉及前加油站的历史污染；
- 向国际纸业公司就其以22亿美元从Weyerhaeuser Co.收购纸浆厂业务的所有监管方面提供法律意见；
- advising TD Greystone Asset Management and IST3 Investment Foundation, a Swiss investment foundation, in connection with definitive agreements to the purchase of up to 100% interest in Alberta 功率Line Limited 伙伴ship (APL) from Canadian Utilities Ltd. and Quanta 服务 Inc.;
- representing renewable electricity generators in connection with competitive procurement processes, including the Alberta Electric System Operator’s Renewable Electricity Program and Saskatchewan 功率 Corp.’s wind and solar procurements;
- representing an intervening shipper in connection with the application by Trans Mountain Pipeline LP for tariff amendments regarding verification procedures, before the National 能源Board;
- advising the Independent 功率 Producers Society of Alberta in connection with the development and negotiation of the template transactional agreements for the implementation of the Alberta 能源Market Participant Choice for Transmission Policy; and
- 就以下方面为商业房地产开发商提供咨询：（i）城市湿地的开发和保护； （ii）与艾伯塔省广西福利彩票发行中心与可持续资源开发（现为艾伯塔省广西福利彩票发行中心与公园）和市政当局的谈判和补偿安排； （三）污染场地的管理和整治。
金伯利 is an active volunteer in the 卡尔加里 and surrounding community. She is a Director of the ALS Society of Alberta, the Canadian 能源Law Foundation, and Survive and Thrive Cancer Programs.
She received her LLB from the University of 卡尔加里 and BA in Sociology from the University of Alberta, as well as a Master of Laws from the University of 卡尔加里 in Energy, Natural Resources and Environmental Law.
In addition to her practice, 金伯利 has taught Regulatory Theory at the University of 卡尔加里’s Faculty of Law.